Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Curse of Incompleteness: part 1

My Uncle Marty asked an interesting question a while ago about why I titled my blog "The Curse of Incompleteness". I told him that I called it that both because Life is a journey of incompleteness and you don't become complete until you die. And secondly because I felt that there was a large amount of things that I had left unfinished, and people that I had ended relationships with while things remained incomplete.

While this statement is technically true, it seems that I skewed my view toward the negative in interpreting it that way. While browsing through my photo album tonight, I was reminiscing on all the moments that I have experienced. It seemed to me that part of living this journey of incompleteness is remembering the things I have seen along the way, the places I have been and sharing them more...

The following is the beginning of a list of things that I have completed in my life.

I have sung on the main stage of the Sydney Opera House.

I have sang on the fields of Soldier Field, Wrigley Field and Giants Stadium.

I have sang on the stage of San Francisco's Castro Theater.

I have stood at the foot of the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.

I have sailed the Pacific, Indian, and Arctic Oceans.

I have been at sea in a hurricane.

I have participated in search and rescue operations.

I have driven a speedboat.

I have seen the sunrise over oceans, rivers, valleys, mountains and snowscapes.

I have traveled to Europe, Asia, Australia, Canada And Central America.

I have driven a Navy warship.

I have fired missles at another country, and I have feared for my life while fighter jets circled the boat.

I have been in love.

I have passed the equator and the international date line at the exact same moment, and I have become a Golden Shellback.

I have met two half siblings for the first time as adults.

I have walked the streets of Hong Kong, but preferred the streets of Kow Loon.

I have had a secluded beach all to myself in a foreign country.

I have seen a shipwreck.

I have seen the sunbeams poking through the highest peaks of the Austrian Alps.

I am a sharpshooter.

I have been to the top of the waterfall from the movie Predator.

I have entered the hidden stairwell behind the bookshelf that was the last home of Anne Frank.

I have held a best friends newborn in my arms.

I once worked for a Dr. Einstein.

I have seen the sun set over the Golden Gate Bridge.

I visited my first castle and it had a moat, an outer wall, high turrets, and a dungeon. Just like this crazy American wanted.

I have ridden horses, both in my youth and as an adult.

I have served my country.

I have had plastic surgery.

I have dressed up for Halloween, every year.

I have met and hung out with a couple "celebrities"

I have shaved my head because I couldn't find a good way to brush my hair.

I have been drunk. I have been high.

I have been to straight weddings. I have been to gay weddings.

I have swam from the boat to the shore.

I survived boot camp.

I have stood with twelve of my friends in the middle of a mighty redwood.

I have sang back up to both k.d. Lang, and B.D. Wong.

I have swung from a trapeze and been caught by my partner.

I have gone to summer camp, as a child and as an adult.

I have camped in the woods, and roughed it in the Diamond Member suites of the Hilton.

To be continued...