Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Drinking with Crazy Horse


Puerto Vallarta

On vacation in Puerto Vallarta, some friends of mine decided to go on a booze cruise. Now I have done my fair share of drinking, but I have issues about drinking while the room itself is moving. However majority ruled and so we set out to find a good cruise that would suit everyone. We found one that included the cruise, the booze, a scuba lesson, lunch at a beach front restaurant and a horse ride to some local waterfalls.

The first stop on the cruise was the scuba lesson. Because of the oxygen mixture, scuba gear, and other such scientific explanations I didn’t quite get, we couldn’t drink until after the lesson. Now I have done my fair share of drinking, but unlike most of my friends, I was unable to maintain my composure after about two beers. I was never so relieved to pull my head out of a trash can as I was the moment I saw the boat pulling up to the restaurant.

After a very nice meal we all set off down the road with the other cruisers looking for the stables. My friends decided to walk to the falls. I however was going to get the full service tour. I paid for a horse ride and I was going to get one! That may have been the worst decision I made on that vacation. You see, I am not a small man. I stand six feet, five inches tall and weigh in at… well, let’s just say at the time I was around 230lbs. So the guy at the stables looks at me and then looks over all his horses. Finally he picks one out saddles it up and brings her over to me.


If it’s possible to see emotion in a horse’s eye, I saw it that day. Not only fear at the thought of having to bear me, but clear hatred for her master. Of course at that moment I was completely oblivious. I got right up on that horse and directed her toward the falls. With a little kick we were on our way, and the stable guy told me to hang on tight as we trotted away. He wasn’t kidding. He had given me the crazy horse, and she wanted me the hell off her back.

She dominated the trail to the falls by pushing other horses off the path. One of the other riders was knocked to the ground when his horse was shoved off the path. I was screaming WHOA! But she was having none of it. She was on a mission; she wanted me off. When we finally reached the falls, after a hundred apologies to other riders, I leapt off her and kissed the ground.

When I looked up I got this weird sense of Déjà vu. That was when I realized I had seen these waterfalls before. I had seen them when Arnold Schwarzenegger was jumping over them trying to get away from the “Predator”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.