Monday, August 18, 2008

Birthdaversarry

Friday was my 33rd birthday. And with the way the my new year started, I am guessing that this next year is going to be really weird... but good?


Danny and my birthdays are two days apart, his on the 13th and mine on the 15th. Being that I tend not to remember when our first date was, or when we decided to officially be boyfriends, I tend to look at the day we met, as our anniversary. We met on the Sunday of lazybear last year, which was August the 4th. So, with both birthdays and our one year anniversary looming, we thought it would be nice to have a small intimate get together with some friends.

It began like any other day (with the exception of my parents calling at ungodly hours). Around 7:30 my alarm starts going off and I grudgingly take the next thirty minutes to get out of bed. That task is made even harder due to a certain significant other not letting go... and my complete unwillingness to let go first... finally with a mighty huff and pout, and a face that almost made me call in sick, I made it out of bed and headed in to work.

Work was a pretty easy and happy day. Not too much for me to do, and lots of happy people getting ready for the weekend. Somehow I found a temp job at the one and only law firm where the employees (including the attorneys) would rather be out living than behind a desk working. So it fits.

As I was killing time at the reception desk waiting for the phone that never rings to do so, I started reading the news on CNN.com. The first two stories I read, set the tone for the upcoming year. First, in New York, a pregnant police officer was bumped by a van and wound up fatally injured underneath a transit bus. When it happened, there were about ten people on the street that immediatly ran out to try and save her.

Ten people trying to lift a five ton bus are never going to have very successfull results. So after unsuccessfully trying to lift the bus off the police woman, another ten people ran out onto the street to help. Here is where it gets weird/good. Twenty or so New Yorkers, arguably the most jaded and immoveable among us Americans, lifted a five ton bus and pulled the police woman out, and though they could not save her life, they did save the life of her baby.

The other story that I read was this. Friday afternoon in Palo Alto, CA. two men, one a police officer on medical leave and his friend a former corrections officer, held a press conference at which they announced that on their last camping trip in the north Georgia forest, they discovered the body of what can only be called Bigfoot.


They have turned the 7'7", 500lb, fur covered body over to Tom Biscardi (one of the nations foremost Bigfoot hunters), who is conveining a group of scientists to examine the body.

"I want to get to the bottom of it," Biscardi said. "I'll tell you what I've seen and what I've touched and what I've felt, what I've prodded was not a mask sewed onto a bear hide, OK?"

While hauling the body out of the mountains, the men noticed that they were being shadowed by at least three other Sasquach. One of whom they captured in a blurry picture. The sasquach must have known to keep a distance and to not get too close, because that pic is blurry, but the pic of the body they found and kept in an outdoor freezer is perfectly focused, even if it does not show everything clearly.


So, you can see why this year is off to a weird start.

Friday night, I get home and run through the house cleaning everything in my path. By 7:30 I finally sit down and breathe. At 8:00pm, people start showing up. I am not going to take up another two or three paragraphs talking about the party, needless to say, there were around thirty people, they were all really friendly, most knew each other, and those that didnt got to know the rest of us really fast.

Steve-Oh!, my crazy genius, called to say he was on his way, and that he was bringing a new component for my laptop that should solve my problems. He is my resident expert when something is wrong with my computers, and is often checking my computer to fix whatever unwitting thing I did to it. I told him that he could look at my computer, but I didnt want him spending the entire party on the computer trying to fix all my mistakes. When he arrived, he had this in a box under his arm.


I couldnt believe it, and tried not to let him give it to me, but he was so frustrated by my consistently crap computers that he decided it was time that I owned my first brand-new-fresh-from-the-box computer. Steve just wrote a game for the iPhone, and when Apple released the new iPhone last month, his game catapulted to number 13 on the download list. I can understand why he felt he wanted to get me such a lavish gift, I have been behind him pushing from the day he decided to write the game. I even went with him to buy the book to teach him how to do it. But still, this was such a huge gift, and very unexpected. Weird, but GREAT!

The party went into the wee hours of Saturday morning, and somewhere around 3:30 in the morning we finally fell asleep, exhausted. Saturday I gave Danny his birthday wish and never left the bedroom, except to get food and provisions, that is. We were planning on going to another birthday party and then to the two year anniversary party for our favorite bar, but... well... we just didnt leave the room, and that was totally fine for me.

Sunday started out nice and lazy, just the way I like. We woke up and went and had breakfast, yes at one in the afternoon, shuttup, I love my sleep! Our only plan for the day was to go to the Eagle beer bust. The only bar I still consistantly go to, the Eagle is an outdoor patio that fits a few hundred. The music is just barely audible, and the people run the gamut in personality and type, so it is a great place to meet new people and actually hear what they are saying. At the bust, we ran into several friends, and several very very hot men! A fantastic time was had by all.

Six of us left the bust crammed into Adrians 'spensive car, and headed over to his house where we met up with his friend Liam, who I hit it off with immediatly due to a shared military experience (he was on the aircraft carrier that was in my battlegroup). Not really sure what to do for dinner, the seven of us fixed some cocktails while I secretly ordered two pizza's for delivery. The evening was full of laughter, clothes and debate. Adrian is learning sewing, so Danny and he did a mini fashion show for the rest of us. I didnt think it would be possible, but Danny actually looks hot as hell in gold sequins!

Somehow I got into a political and military debate with Liam, covering all sorts of topics from immigration to the middle east solutions. By the end of the night, I had agreed to be his Chief of Staff upon his election to the Presidency of the United States. So, all in all, I would say a pretty damn good weekend. Weird, but good.

No comments: