Friday, May 28, 2010

I will stand.

Now, today, on this my own day of days
So long I've been denied, so many ways
This moment, today, all shall be made clear
With voice, with breath, I shall make you all hear

I will not lie down, my self be denied
For too many years I've hidden and lied
Afraid of my truth, my passion, afraid
My blood runs cold, how many tears I've paid

Alone in the dark I have cursed my heart
Blamed it for making me one set apart
You that instilled in me hatred unfair
I heard you, believed you, sank in despair

Your lies, fears and understanding forgot
You've caused pain for all the things I am not
Your blindness gave me the will and the sight
To ever have strength to stand up and fight

From this day on, from now to forever
I will stand and be true and banish never
Until the day you have learned to forgive
Your words fall deaf on the life I will live


I wrote this in 2004 when I was walking past City Hall every morning on my way to work and Mayor McSteamy Gavin Newsom turned the world on it's head by allowing gays to marry. Walking past the lines of people just wanting to get married was pretty moving. So I wrote this poem.

All I'm saying is that it is a legal contract between consenting adults recognized and sanctioned by the US Government. They cannot define love, they shouldn't be allowed to ill-define it either.

No comments: